Xba star activity?

Tue Jan 19 16:24:43 EST 1993

Barry Komm komm at a1.mscf.upenn.edu writes.
> We are currently preparing sub-clones of mouse genomic DNA fragments that
> have been placed in Lambda FIX II.  When we digest with Xba one of our
> clones reveals 6 insert fragments along with the two phage arms.  Note: We
> can take two oligos that we know only match up with our gene of interest
> and amplify the appropriate sized fragment from our genomic clone.  Our PCR
> product reveals the correct bands when restriction digested and our PCR
> product matches with a positive control product produced from mouse genomic
> DNA.
	Have you considered the possibility that your enzyme tube is
contaminated with some other enzyme?  As to the star activity,
NEB catalog lists the following enzymes as the ones that can be made
to exhibit star activity.  Also, if it was star activity, then how do your
explain the presence of intact lambda arms?
	AseI, BamHI, BssHII, EcoRI, EcoRV, HindIII, HinfI, KpnI, PstI,
PvuII, SalI, ScaI, TaqI, XmnI.
Raj Shankarappa
bsh at med.pitt.edu