breaking small volumes of S.pombe

GIETZ at bldghsc.lan1.umanitoba.ca GIETZ at bldghsc.lan1.umanitoba.ca
Fri Jan 22 17:46:00 EST 1993

%%%%%%%%%%%%%  David Writes%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
I need to break small volumns of S. pombe (fision yeast), approx 1 ml, in
the presence of 100mM HCl to extract the acid soluble thiols.
I have tried grinding with no luck. Any other ideas.

David Salt, University of Guelph
Guelph, Ontario, Canada
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Hi David!
    You should be able to use acid washed glass beads
0.5 mm diameter (sigma # G-9268) and vortex.
See article by Moreno et al (1991) in Method in Enzymology
vol 194,pg795.Ed by Guthrie and Fink (Guide to Yeast Genetics
and Molecular Biology)  A reference to DNA/RNA/ Protein preps
is on page 817-819.
Good Luck
Dan Gietz
Department of Human Genetics