problems with mrna quantitation

jgill at kean.ucs.mun.ca jgill at kean.ucs.mun.ca
Mon Jan 25 10:24:13 EST 1993

Fellow netters:

I have recently analysed my results during a quantitative rna analysis.
During my analysis I used rRNA as a standard for the year to compare my
summer hormone mrna levels.  I am dealing with temperate fish so I was
expecting the summer hormone rna's : rRNA levels to be high during periods of
rapid growth and the opposite to be the case during the winter months.

However, I found just the opposite to take place.  That is to say that the
ratios were high during the winter and low during the summer.  This is sort
of an indication to me that in, winter flounder, the fish which I am
presently studying rRNA varies considerably over the year.  Would anyone
know of another mRNA which remains constant throughout the year which I
would be able to use as a standard.

Also, I was wondering if anyone would know if it would be a good idea to
add a foreign rna to the G.T.C. extraction mixture to show quantitative rna
extraction when using different probes.

thanx Juan

E-mail  Jgill at kean.mun.ucs.ca