Long Seq Gels

GIETZ at bldghsc.lan1.umanitoba.ca GIETZ at bldghsc.lan1.umanitoba.ca
Mon Jan 25 14:09:00 EST 1993

I'm running fairly long (52 cm) sequencing gels with labelled DNA
fragments.  Right now we have to cut the top 10 cm because we don't have
X-ray film that's long enough.  I recall seeing X-ray film in rolls
somewhere.  Does anybody recall brand, size and price?

Also, we don't have a gel dryer that accomodates long gels.  Any
alternative drying method?

Cheers everybody

Pablo A. Scolnik
scolnipa at esva.dnet.dupont.com

Pablo,
    Why don't you try cutting the gel with a razor blade
and putting your gel to film in pieces.  If you load a sample
twice (at two different times) the place of the cut should
be no problem ( Overlap with the other load).  This worked
for me when I was using King Kong gels.

Dan Gietz
Department of Human Genetics
University of Manitoba