RNA gels

GIETZ at bldghsc.lan1.umanitoba.ca GIETZ at bldghsc.lan1.umanitoba.ca
Tue Jan 26 12:54:00 EST 1993

>I am about to do a Northern blot.  I am thinking of running the
>RNA out on 1% formaldehyde gel.  The fragment I want to detect
>is at least 3 kb.  The question is how long should I run the
>gel?  Does anyone know what size RNA correspond to the
>bromophenol blue dye front?

>-fm
---
I used to run 1.5% agarose: formaldehyde gels and
that size of mRNA ran  above the Xylene Cyanol marker.
If you run the gel so that the bromophenol blue is just at the end
the XC will be about mid way in a 1.5% agarose gel.  Hope this
helps! I never ran 1% agarose:formaldehyde because of the resolution
needed.
Dan Gietz
Department of Human Genetics
University of Manitoba