Long Seq Gels

Jianchi Chen JCHEN at MACC.WISC.EDU
Thu Jan 28 22:48:00 EST 1993

> Also, we don't have a gel dryer that accomodates long gels.  Any
> alternative drying method?

>>I bind the gel to one of the glass plates, making for easier handling, but
>>meaning a regular gel dryer can't be used.  I now put the plate in an oven
>>for an hour at about 100 deg C.  Before we got a large oven I used to put
>>the gel under a group of hair dryers for a couple of hours.  It was noisy
>>and not as fast as an oven, but it works.  I would think this would also
>>work for a gel transfered to paper.

Yes! A gel transfered to paper works better.  What I usually do is: after
transferring the gel to Whatman paper, clamp it on a piece of metal board with
the gel side up, dry the gel in an oven.  It may work even faster to dry a
gel this way with a heater under a hood.  By the way, two pieces of metal
board clamped together can be a cassette.

Jianchi Chen
Dept. of Food Microbiology and Toxicology
Univ. of Wisconsin
JCHEN at MACC.WISC.EDU