Needed - Human Tumor Cell Line Database

Dan Jacobson danj at welchgate.welch.jhu.edu
Sat Jan 30 11:40:30 EST 1993

In article <55529.lapointe at thorin.uthscsa.edu> lapointe at THORIN.UTHSCSA.EDU ("David Lapointe") writes:
>I have received two calls today from researchers
>interested in a datbase of tumor cell lines.
>
>Aside from the ATCC catalog is there a database of tumor
>cell lines?

A couple of gopher searches finds the following items that may
be useful.

Best of luck,

Dan Jacobson

danj at welchgate.welch.jhu.edu

            NIGMS Human Genetic Mutant Cell Repository Catalog of Cell Lines
            and DNA Samples (NIGMS-HGMCR)

HGMCR provides descriptions of cell cultures and DNA samples
available for genetic disease studies and gene mapping.

Contact:

Dr. Richard Mulivor
Coriell Inst. for Medical Research
Copewood & Davis Streets
Camden, NJ 08103
U.S.A.
(609) 966-7377

 SMITH, HELENE S
 MEDICAL RESEARCH INSTITUTE
 2200 WEBSTER STREET
 SAN FRANCISCO, CA  94115
 PERFORMING ORGANIZATION: MEDICAL RESEARCH INSTITUTE OF SAN FRAN
 TITLE   Molecular and cellular predictors of breast cancer prognosis

 ABSTRACT:

  This program represents a multidisciplinary approach save
  towards developing new prognostic indicators for breast cancer.  We suggest
  that the variable course of breast cancer is in large part the result of
  fundamental differences among patients in the cellular biology of the
  malignant epithelium and its reactive stroma.  Our rationale is that recent
  advances in molecular and cell biology using model systems are ready to be
  applied directly to the problem.  The research projects will concentrate on
  four areas: 1) oncogene and receptor activation, by developing new assays
  to improve the prognostic specificity of c-erbB-2 proto-oncogene
  overexpression and estrogen receptor content based on mechanisms mediating
  the abnormal expression of these genes; 2) genetic aberrations, by relating
  prognosis to overall level of genetic aberrations and by searching for new
  genes whose aberrant expression affects prognosis; 3) interphase
  cytogenetics, utilizing fluorescence in situ hybridization to evaluate the
  role of cytogenetic abnormalities in breast cancer prognostication; and 4)
  stromal-epithelial interactions, testing the hypothesis that cancer-derived
  stromal fibroblasts contribute to breast cancer invasiveness via
  overproduction of the extracellular matrix component, hyaluronic acid.  The
  Program's Clinical Core will continue to provide the projects and the other
  cores with surgical breast specimens and fine needle aspiration material,
  to conduct the clinical protocols and in association with the
  Administrative Core to provide clinical data and prospective follow-up
  information on all patients whose tumor samples are being analyzed.  The
  Immunopathology Core will optimize immunohistochemical assays and evaluate
  the prognostic significance of various cellular antigens.  The Cell Culture
  Core will continue to process and bank dissociated breast tissue specimens,
  and provide cultured cells for the research projects.  The Cytometry and
  Biostatistics Core will continue to provide biostatistical support, to
  maintain a database of all relevant data, and to perform cytometric and
  cytokinetic analyses.  These molecular and cellular studies will be used to
  optimize and augment the routine assays being performed on biopsy material.
  The results from these studies will impact on breast cancer survival by
  improving prognostic indicators, as well as by providing new scientific
  insights into breast cancer pathophysiology.