Silver stain

Bunka Sebastian Sebastian.Bunka at
Fri Jul 2 06:06:10 EST 1993

Newsgroups: bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts
>From: catsup at (Mr. Christopher M. Gross)
>Subject: Silver Stain
>Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1993 23:57:12 GMT

>Anyone -

>I have a silver stained gel in which the staining was to say the least
>overzealous and now the gel is all silver!  It is a rather important
>compound I am after and I need to destain and start again.

>Does anyone know how to get rid of the color?

>Respond here or catsup at

>Christopher M. Gross

There is a very simple reaction adopted from photography (used
in many neutral silver staining protocols - and: IT WORKS!)

Make a dry mixture of:

Sodiumthiosulfate   30g
Sodiumbicarbonate 10g
Potassiumferricyanide  60g
-> store dry

use 1.5g in 300 ml aqua dest.

destain the gel 1-30 sec.; be careful: bands can disappear !

good luck,

|Dr. Sebastian Bunka      Email: Sebastian.Bunka at     |
|Inst.f.Bakteriologie                                              |
|Vet.Med.Uni Wien         Phone: +43-1-71155/261                   |
|Linke Bahngasse 11       Fax:   +43-1-71 49 110                   |
|A-1030 Wien                                                       |