Pouring sequencing gels w/o leaking

Ed Rybicki ED at micro.uct.ac.za
Mon Jul 5 03:28:56 EST 1993

> If bubbles appear while you are pouring, righten the setup and tip it from
> side to side, causing the level of the poured gel to dip below the bubble.
> It may be necessary to tap with the handle of a screwdriver as you pour in
                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

We pour our gels much the same way described, with one modification: I
used to have a really beautiful wooden T4 phage (made by an undergrad as
part of a project) in my lab.  One day I decided to take my gaze off my
screen to investigate the source of the incredibly annoying repetitive
tapping that seemed to have been going on for days, on and off - and found
my Honours students diligently banging their sequencing gel plates with
the head of my (now legless) phage, in order to remove bubbles.  Turns out
wood is sufficiently elastic that you can bang quite hard without
fracturing the plates, and bubbles were never a problem anymore (I never
had a problem BEFORE!).  It has now passed into routine method - I am
waiting for other labs to steal my phage (I wish they would), or build
their own.  Maybe we should SELL them - patent ProBoehAmPharm bubble
remover (Jim Graham, are you first in line?).

 | Ed Rybicki, PhD             |       "Lord, won't you buy me        |
 | (ed at micro.uct.ac.za)        |                                      |
 | Dept Microbiology           |         A Mer-ce-des Benz..."        |
 | University of Cape Town     |                                      |
 | fax: 27-21-650 4023         |                                      |