Pouring sequencing gels w/o leaking

Vivian Miao Miao at oregon.uoregon.edu
Mon Jul 5 23:41:31 EST 1993

In article <21a41p$den at news.bu.edu>, pfoster at bu.edu (Patricia Foster)
wrote:

> James Gibbs (gibbs at husc4.harvard.edu) wrote:
>
> : The only problem I have with pouring horizontal gels, letting capillary
> : action fill the plates, is bubbles. If bubbles occur, how can you get them
> : out?
>
> (stuff deleted)
>
> : It may be necessary to tap with the handle of a screwdriver as you pour in
>
>     Well, I am unimpressed!  The reason I started using tape and pouring
> at an angle is to stop having to get physical with my gels and banging
> the bubbles out.  I think I'll stick to my method.
> BTW, the plunger of a 50 ml disposable syringe is a good banger.

Ok, I can't stand it; I want to get into this fray of home remedies too!

Does anyone else "fish out" the bubbles?  I'm not into banging on the glass
(makes me nervous), but when I do get bubbles, I sort of fish them out
using a long piece of spacer material that has a hook shape cut at the end
of it.
I extend the  hook (has to be clean, of course) past the bubble, draw it
back
and catch the bubble in the inside curve of the hook, and then draw it
gently
either straight up to the top, or over to one side and then up along the
spacer,
if the bubble is to one side.   This works beautifully if you have just a
few
 bubbles to contend with, and you can reach a very Zen-like state after
trying
it a few times ... nothing so calm and relaxing as helping a bubble of air
"float" to the top.   Now what more can you ask from the whole sequencing
 gel pouring experience?

P.S. I used a scrap of 0.4mm spacer material to make a hook for 0.5 mm
gels.  This method presupposed you have spacer material on hand (we
indulge in the ancient craft of making combs once in a while), but any
 piece of thin plastic should suffice.