Jim Owens jow at
Thu Jul 8 07:49:55 EST 1993

In article <1993Jul7.150818.1 at> ,
nichoki at writes:
>hey, I've got some animals that have been preserved in formalin and
>stored in alcohol.  I wanted to isolate DNA from these animals, but
>it is extremely difficult to get clean, high molecular weight DNA from
>animals preserved in this manner.  Anybody have any ideas?

Yo, Kirsten.  Have you looked at PCR Protocols: A Guide to Methods and
Applications, p. 153?  This article is about preparation of DNA from
formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded tissues, so it may not apply to your
situation.  But they use octane to remove the paraffin, then alcohol to
remove the octane and then remove the alcohol.

Good luck,

Jim Owens