Pouring sequencing gels w/o leaking

Jim Owens jow at helix.nih.gov
Thu Jul 8 07:38:26 EST 1993

In article <1993Jul7.000526.15127 at vax.oxford.ac.uk> ,
dnicker at vax.oxford.ac.uk writes:
>As for the bubble dilemma. . . with clean plates and slow steady pouring
>has never been a problem either.  Maximum of 4 bubbles in over 30 gels
>and I just work around them.  Now though, am looking into the wooden
>models to burst them as they form, and may even try the assorted hooks
>other such "bubble catchers" mentioned here :)

I wonder whether adding a small amount of non-ionic detergent, like
0.01-0.05% NP-40, might be helpful for keeping bubbles under control.
Once, when trying to sequence PCR fragments prepared from agarose gels, I
was following a protocol that called for 0.05% NP-40 in the sequencing
reaction.  When the reactions were loaded on the gel the bubbles were so
small that I could put the loading tip right on the gel surface without
worrying about bubbles either disturbing the samples or staying in them.

But on the other hand, there may be more bubbles formed in pouring the
gel.  It's just a thought I had.

Jim Owens