Pipet accuracy...

Fri Jul 9 17:45:55 EST 1993

> we just got a new shipment of yellow tips in from fisher, and they
> seem AWFUL at first glance... upon expulsion of the tip, it immediately
> seems to draw some liquid back up.... does anyone have any recommendations
> for what yellow tips they find the best?

As many must have noticed, this is a very frequent problem with most of
the available tips.  To avoid this inaccuracy, I have now made it a
habbit to draw the fluid and immediately dispense it back, so that
the inside of the tip is sufficiently wetted.  If you go in the second
time and draw the liquid and dispense it, although some might be
retained in the tip, the amount dispensed will be the set amount.
Does anyone have other ideas?

Raj Shankarappa
bsh at med.pitt.edu