Invitrogen PCR Optimizer: Comments?

Stuart Brown browns at
Fri Jul 9 16:32:24 EST 1993

In article <1993Jul9.114827.3934 at> engman at writes:
>I'm interested in trying the PCR Optimization kit ("Optimizer") from
>Invitrogen.  If anyone has any experience with this, I'd appreciate any
>comments (successes, failures, etc.) on the kit before I send away for it.
>James Engman                  |
>Dept. Biological Sciences     |                 \      __      /
>ML06                          |      /            \  /    \  /       /
>University of Cincinnati      |     {[[[[}===<     /\       \       /
>Cincinnati, OH 45221-0006     |      \           /    \ __ /  \ __ /
>(513) 556-9759                |

	I usually like kits, but I see little use for this one.  Why not
just use a PCR buffer without Mg+ and do your own "optimization" by
using a concentration range of Mg+?  You could also throw in an
"optimization" of DNA concentration and PCR annealing temperature too!

Stuart M. Brown                             If you can remain cool when all
U. of Manitoba, Dept. Plant Science         Around you are in panic,
Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA
browns at            Then you surely misunderstand the situation