Oligos for mutagenesis: How pure?

Klaus.Matthaei at anu.edu.au Klaus.Matthaei at anu.edu.au
Sun Jul 11 20:06:36 EST 1993

>Hello netters,
>I need some oligos for site-directed mutagenesis, and I've found
>that they are TERRIBLY expensive! , especially when you want them
>to be 5' phosphorilated, and PAGE purified. I've heard of some other
>methods to purify oligos, but I don't know if they do produce oligos
>pure enough to use them in site-directed mutagenesis (Kunkel method).
>Can anyone in Cyberville review such methods in order to assess their
>suitability for s-d mutagenesis?
>Or, in other words, can I use cartridge-purified oligos with good
>efficiency, or must I use FPLC or PAGE-purified ones?
>(I'm not planning to purify them by myself, but to buy them to the
>cheapest-but-reliable source available. Some hints on this are also
>Thank you
>Josefina Enfedaque               josefina at farmacia.ub.es
>Dept. Microbiologia
>Facultat de Farmacia
>Universidad de Barcelona
>08028 Barcelona (Spain)

I have used oligos for site directed mutagenesis directly off the synthesis
(dried down and resuspended of course).

Cheers, Klaus
Klaus Matthaei
Gene Targeting
The Australian National University
E-mail: Klaus.Matthaei at anu.edu.au

"I know that you think that you think that you understand what I am saying."
"But what I am saying is not actually what I mean."