Staining DNA or Prots.? (was Re: Problems with Promega silver sequencing kit)

Doug Roberts droberts at joplin.biosci.arizona.edu
Mon Jul 12 14:40:39 EST 1993

I accidentally deleted the other posts here. Sorry.

Basically, I was wondering how one could be certain that the stained bands
seen on a silver stained polyacrylamide gel are DNA and not protein.
Perhaps by the size standards run out along with the samples? Do the
standard suppliers remove the restriction enzymes from the mix?
And, finally, does the process of phenol/chloroform or EtOH precipitation
remove all of the contaminating protein?

Thanks, Doug

Doug Roberts - "Clueless as usual..."
droberts at joplin.biosci.arizona.edu