Staining DNA or Prots.? (was Re: Problems with Promega

Ed Rybicki ED at micro.uct.ac.za
Tue Jul 13 04:34:30 EST 1993

> Basically, I was wondering how one could be certain that the stained bands
> seen on a silver stained polyacrylamide gel are DNA and not protein.

By soaking a duplicate gel in DNase, then staining....

> And, finally, does the process of phenol/chloroform or EtOH precipitation
> remove all of the contaminating protein?

Not necessarily - witness the gunk left in an EthBr CsCl run after the DNA
has been thoroughly CHCl3-phenoled.

 | Ed Rybicki, PhD             |       "Lord, won't you buy me        |
 | (ed at micro.uct.ac.za)        |                                      |
 | Dept Microbiology           |         A Mer-ce-des Benz..."        |
 | University of Cape Town     |                                      |
 | fax: 27-21-650 4023         |                                      |