FAR-WESTERN BLOTS

James B. Hutchins jbh at anat.UMSMED.EDU
Sun Jul 18 12:23:30 EST 1993

In article <1993Jul16.112016.26827 at gserv1.dl.ac.uk> sbhattac at crc.ac.uk
(Dr. S. Bhattacharya) writes:

>Hi netfolks
>I would be grateful if anyone could send me their protocols for far-western
>blots.
[stuff deleted]

>Shoumo Bhattacharya
>MRC Molecular Medicine Group
>RPMS Hammersmith Hospital
>London UK

Here are two references to the use of this procedure for detecting nicotinic
acetylcholine receptors.  As far as I know, this is the first use of the
'far-western' blotting procedure.

Also, I would like to immodestly point interested readers to my short letter
on the "Hawaiian blot", which uses one antibody to immobilize the blotted
protein and another (raised in a different species) to detect it.  I'm at
home, don't have my CV here (maybe I should :-) ) but it's in BioTechniques
April 1989 I think or if you e-mail me I'll send you a reprint (I have lots
:-) ).

Jim

=========================

Authors
  Hawrot E.  Wilson PT.  Gershoni JM.  Reese JH.  Lentz TL.
Title
  Alpha-bungarotoxin binding to a high molecular weight component from lower
  vertebrate brain identified on dodecyl sulfate protein-blots.
Journal
  Brain Research.  [JC:b5l]  373(1-2):227-34, 1986 May 14.

Authors
  Wilson PT.  Gershoni JM.  Hawrot E.  Lentz TL.
Title
  Binding of alpha-bungarotoxin to proteolytic fragments of the alpha
  subunit of Torpedo acetylcholine receptor analyzed by protein transfer on
  positively charged membrane filters.
Journal
  Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of
  America.  [JC:pv3]  81(8):2553-7, 1984 Apr.
Jim Hutchins                    []     E-Mail: jbh at anat.umsmed.edu
Asst Prof of Anatomy            []     Asst Prof of Neurology
Univ Mississippi Med Ctr        []     Jackson, MS