Genomic Digest Difficulties

chai_z at wehi.edu.au chai_z at wehi.edu.au
Mon Jul 19 19:45:06 EST 1993

From: chai_z at wehi.edu.au
Newsgroups: bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts
Subject: re: Genomic Digest Difficulties
Date: 20 Jul 93 10:42:46 +1000

From: chai_z at wehi.edu.au
Newsgroups: bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts
Date: 20 Jul 93 10:42:12 +1000

In article <1352 at grivel.une.edu.au>, iwatson at metz.une.edu.au (IAN WATSON) writes:
> I'd better start right at the begining:
>
> I am an honours student studying an anerobic bacteria which causes footrot in
> sheep known as Dichelobacter nodosus (Formerly Bacteroides nodosus). I am
> specifically studing two strains from the H serotype, one virulent and the other
> benign. I have a heaps of trouble growing these H strains as a broth culture,
> so, I grew them on TAS plates and suspended the cells of the plate and carried
Did you use agar plate? When I prepare lambda phage DNA, I had good yield of
DNA, but not digestible. I changed agar plate to agrose plate of NZCYM to grow
the phage. Extracted DNA was digested easily. Agarose made a big difference.
It was presumed that some batch of agar contains enzyme inhibitor which is
difficult to be removed. I suggested that you try growing your bacto on "TAS"
agrose plate and then extract the DNA.

Good Luck.

Zhonglin Chai