Competant Cells

Michael Coady coady at ERE.UMontreal.CA
Mon Jul 26 19:16:19 EST 1993

In article <CAsD5r.A79 at> hamel at (Andre Hamel) writes:
>Have you tried out the method described by Nishimura (Nucl. Acids
>Res., Vol. 18, No.20, pg 6169, 1990) ... it's a GREAT method, yielding
>high efficiency competent cells ... follow their method to the letter ...
>is now a standard protocol in our lab.

	Another method that I've used regularly (and swear by) is found
in Inoue et al, Gene vol. 96, pp. 23-28 (1990).  It works very well and is
quite simple; the only drawback is growing bacteria at 18 C.  I have
to lug my big water bath (including a pump) to the incubator and put a
rubber hose around my flask with a few coils, to keep the temperature
at 18.  But the method is quite simple and works well.

Michael J. Coady
"I don't got to show you no stinking .signature..."