S35 thermal cycler contamination

Jim Owens jow at helix.nih.gov
Mon Jul 26 08:01:32 EST 1993

In article <1993Jul23.213801.12927 at nmr-z.mgh.harvard.edu> Michael Finney,
finney at Frodo.MGH.Harvard.EDU writes:
>Thin-wall polypropylene tubes are NOT permeable to
>water vapor, so we would be somewhat surprised if S35 compounds could
>get through them (but we can't absolutely rule it out either).  These

Thin wall tubes craze when squeezed with even gentle finger pressure.  If
shipping is rough on a box of tubes some may be compressed and result in
the tiny cracks that my wild imagination suggests might make the tubes
subject to micro-seepage.  Of course this would not explain the lack of
32P contamination, but it is something to keep in mind.

Jim Owens