nitro-cellulose - baking without a vacuum?

David Johnstondaj daj at nhm.ic.ac.uk
Thu Jul 29 06:00:54 EST 1993

On Thu, 29 Jul 1993 04:25:04 GMT,
  Mr P.C. Ferrett writes:

>I would like to bake DNA and RNA fragments onto nitro-cellulose
>paper.  However, I do not have ready access to a vacuum oven.
>Does anyone know what purpose the vacuum serves i.e. is it
>possible to bake the NC paper in a normal oven?  If this is
>not possible, does anyone know of any alternatives to baking
>DNA or RNA onto NC paper (I prefer to use NC rather than
>nylon for the particular task I am doning).

As I understood it, you need to bake to bind the DNA to the NC but that NC
can "explode" if heated in air, hence the vacuum. We don't have a vacuum
oven either, we put them in our gel drier and it works fine!

Cheers
DAJ
David A. Johnston
Dept of Zoology, The Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road,
South Kensington, London SW7 5DB.
(tel 071 9389297, fax 071 9388754, email daj at nhm.ic.ac.uk)