Phycocyanin or Phycobilin determination

COOPER SAGI 6767 sagi at
Thu Jul 29 07:38:00 EST 1993

In article <2c568540._indotec at>, "Frank Richardson"  <indotec!frichard at> writes...
>	Does anyone know a good method for phycobilin or phycocyanin
>	The one I know is the Siegelmen and Kycia method (1979) used as
>cyanobacteria indicator:
>Let's say I don't want to use bottom samples but surface water instead.
>what modifications should I use?

Be sure that the samples you remove are of the upper layer.
>any comments on this or any other method?
>Frank Richardson                            indotec!frichard at

The last lab I worked at used phycob or c as a measurement for cell concentr-
tion. It works nicely, but you shouldn't forget that after breaking the cells,
or treating them with lysozime/EDTA, you should sample and add cold aceton to
a final 80% concentration. This will get the blues out of the cells.
Good luck,

Sagi Cooper
(now at) ncology Dept. Hadassah-Hebrew U of Jerusalem University