nitro-cellulose - brittle and breaking????

Fri Jul 30 08:43:00 EST 1993

> We used to use NC and after transfer, bake in a normal oven at about 60
> C (in air).  It seemed to work fine.  I presume the vacuum is to
> prevent the NC from oxidizing, becoming brittle, charring or bursting
                                          ^^^^^^^
> into flames.  In fact I have used NC filters without baking but that had
> been left for a several days and had dried out very thoroughly.
> Andrew Hobbs
> Biochemistry
> University of Western Australia
> andrewh at uniwa.uwa.edu.au

If NCM becoming brittle and breaking is a problem for anyone and money is
not much of a problem there is a solution out there.
Amersham used to sell membranes which are nitrocellulose impregnated into
a solid support.  I do not have their catalog handy.  I have used them
for western blots with good results and they should work fine for nucleic
acid blots.  (I know the slack Amersham is taking for the reasons I think
are quite valid and wrong on their part.  But if it is your work that is
on line you better make sure that it gets done first).
Raj Shankarappa
bsh at med.pitt.edu
Univ of Pittsburgh