Carbenicillin

Sebastian Bunka Sebastian.Bunka at vu-wien.ac.at
Fri Jul 30 05:03:38 EST 1993

> Date:          29 Jul 93 18:17:10 GMT
> To:            "bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts mail newsgroup" <bionet-news at daresbury.ac.uk>
> From:          gibbs at husc4.harvard.edu (James Gibbs)
> Subject:       Carbenicillin

> Could someone tell me the following about carbenicillin as a selective
> agent in bacterial plates and media?
>
> - What concentration do I use?
> - How long do plates last for?
> - Is it more heat-stable than ampicillin?
> - Is there anything else relevant I should know?
>
> I've been using amp, but I heard carbenicillin lasts longer.
>
> --
> Jim
> gibbs at husc.harvard.edu

Never tried, but "current protocolls in molecular biology" (Ed. FM
Amsubel, 1989) says:
''Carbenicillin, at the same concentration, can be used in place of
ampicillin. ...can be stored in 50% ethanol /50% water at -20 degC.''

SWB

|Dr. Sebastian Bunka      Email: Sebastian.Bunka at vu-wien.ac.at     |
|Inst.f.Bakteriologie                                              |
|Vet.Med.Uni Wien         Phone: +43-1-71155/261                   |
|Linke Bahngasse 11       Fax:   +43-1-71 49 110                   |
|A-1030 Wien                                                       |