Shrimp Alkaline Phosphatase

Michael G. Kurilla mgk2r at Virginia.EDU
Fri Jul 30 12:35:54 EST 1993

David Stillman  writes:
> Hi Netters!
>
> I read here some time ago about the virtues of shrimp alkaline
> phosphatase, compared to the calf intestinal enzyme.
> Can someone tell me where one can buy this enzyme?

The enzyme SAP (that how we say it) can be purchased from
USBiochemicals.  We use it routinely instead of CIAP.  The
advantage is that heating to 65C completely inactivates the
enzyme.  For 5' overhangs we just to add to the RE digest after
completion.  For blunts or 3' overhangs, we resuspend the DNA
in SAP buffer (100mM tris-HCl pH 9.5, 10mM MgCl2).  We've found
it work as well as CIAP without the concern to get rid of it
afterwards.