Staining with Ponceau-S

John Boswell knight at grafton.dartmouth.edu
Fri Jul 30 15:06:48 EST 1993

Hi,
	Could someone point me to a protocol for staining Western Blots
(PVDF membranes) with Ponceau-S?  I'm currently using Coommassie Blue, but
it takes too long to destain :)  I tried a .1% w/v solution of Ponceau
in 5% Acetic acid, but this did not stain well *at all* compared to
Coommassie.  A 0.5% wasn't much better.  So I washed the membrane with
water and re-stained with coommassie for 5 minutes, and a slew of bands
showed up.  Do I just have the conc. of Ponceau wrong?  Should I just
dissolve it in water?  Thanks in advance,

-John Boswell

Dr. John Boswell	 			knight at grafton.dartmouth.edu
Dept. of Chemistry, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Oregon Graduate Institute, Portland, OR		503-690-1086