Problems with Promega Taq

Andre Hamel hamel at ccu.umanitoba.ca
Wed Jun 2 18:41:50 EST 1993

>>A friend of mine in the next building suspects the storage buffer
>>of a batch of Taq from Promega is faulty: The lot number is 28330A
>>and the expiry is 02/95. Has anyone else experienced any problems
>>with this ?
>
>they unloading substandard stuff on us?
>
>Patricia L. Foster
>Boston University School of Medicine
>Boston, MA USA
>pfoster at bu.edu

We've found that Taq is best obtained from either Boehringer Mannheim or
(sigh) Perkin Elmer ... price is not as nice as Promega stuff but quality
is ASSURED ... especially for PCR (from PE of course  :-)

We too "suffered" from experiences of Taq quality from Promega and others
(BioCan is another that comes to mind).

Have you tried Deep Vent exo- from New England Biolabs?
It's a wonderful enzyme, MORE thermostable than Taq, VERY processive and
costs much LESS $$  ... costs $384 CDN for 1000 units whereas PE Taq costs
$287 for only 250 units ... DVexo- can be used at 1/2 to 1/10 th the conc.
as Taq, thus works out to roughly $ 0.04 to $ 0.40 per reaction whereas
Taq needs to be used more conc., thus is about $ 1.00 per rx'n!

regards, Andre
Andre Hamel                                 email: hamel at ccu.umanitoba.ca
Manitoba Veterinary Services                lab tel.: (204) 945-7630
Infectious & Genetic Disease                     FAX: (204) 945-8062
Mol.Biol.Lab., Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA