cDNAs & ORFs

Andre Hamel hamel at ccu.umanitoba.ca
Thu Jun 3 08:23:47 EST 1993

In article <930603194820.1613 at cbr.dwe.csiro.au> MPB at CBR.DWE.CSIRO.AU (Mark Bradley) writes:
>Dear Netters:
>A query: we have pulled a cDNA from testis which contains an ORF for
>a sperm antigen.  However we have found a curious(?) poly-T tract
>inframe with the start of the first ATG.  The poly-T tract isapprox
>a 30mer.
>Question: does anyone know the significance of the seq prior to the
>first start codon and how common(?) is such a seq in the apparently
>non coding region adjacent to a complete ORF.
>Any comments would be most welcome
>
>Mark Bradley
>CSIRO
>Div Wildlife & Ecology
>Canberra
>Australia
>Email: mpb at cbr.dwe.csiro.au

Dig up articles by Marilyn Kozak ... "Kozak's rules" about what start
codon sequences are in right "context" are a standard in this field.

Sorry, I've none of these articles on hand (I'm at home ... articles are
in lab).

regards, Andre
Andre Hamel                                 email: hamel at ccu.umanitoba.ca
Manitoba Veterinary Services                lab tel.: (204) 945-7630
Infectious & Genetic Disease                     FAX: (204) 945-8062
Mol.Biol.Lab., Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA