Western Blotting with TransaBind

Ed Rybicki ED at micro.uct.ac.za
Fri Jun 4 05:32:31 EST 1993

> to western blotting membranes despite previous blocking.  The result is a
> "negative" effect where the membrane itself is lighting up by ECL better
> than bound protein.  I had hoped to use Transabind to covalently
> immobilize the protein and prevent it from contaminating my antibody
> solution.

Asked and answered....but are you sure that is why the "negative effect"
occurs?  I have seen this with Lumiphos chemiluminescence in Northerns as
well, and there was no chance of something like that happening.  All it
means is the bands are better blocked than the bkd, not that your specific
Ag of interest is binding non-specifically to the blot.

Cheers,

 | Ed Rybicki, PhD             |       "Lord, won't you buy me        |
 | (ed at micro.uct.ac.za)        |                                      |
 | Dept Microbiology           |         A Mer-ce-des Benz..."        |
 | University of Cape Town     |                                      |
 | fax: 27-21-650 4023         |                                      |