Bovine corneal endothelial cells

Dennis J. Templeton djt2 at po.CWRU.Edu
Fri Jun 4 16:40:48 EST 1993

In a previous article, mangalam at SALK-SC2.SDSC.EDU (Harry Mangalam) says:

>Hi,
>   A post-doc here at the Salk is trying to find a cell line of the type
>mentioned in the subject header.  If you have such a cell line or know
>someone  who does, preferably in North America (importation of live bovine
>products is frowned upon by Customs, especially with the rest of the world
>filled with mad cow cell lines), please reply to me and I'll see she gets
>the message.  I'm sure her lab would pay transportation costs.
>
>Thanks very much,
>Harry
>
>Harry Mangalam                                   Vox:(619) 453-4100, x250
>Dept of Biocomputing                                   Fax:(619) 552-1546
>The Salk Institute                        1'   mangalam at salk-sc2.sdsc.edu
>10010 N Torrey Pines Rd                   2'        hjm at salk-sgi.sdsc.edu
>La Jolla CA 92037                         3'         mangalam at salk.bitnet

Harry- Hi from the long distant past.

I don't *exactly* have an answer for the above, but I recall a discussion
with someone who grew *primary* rabbit cornea cells.  It seems she (I
remember her sex, but not the name) would anesthetize the rabbit then
scrape the corneal cells off with a scalpel for culture.  The cells
apparently have a pretty extended life.  Maybe the bovine cells were
similarly primarys?

Now my real reason for writing.  I have read the Methods in Enzymology
protein kinase volume that Tony and Bart edited (You may recall I am a Salk
alumnus) and rely on the table of protein kinase homology sequences that
has Steve Hanks and Anne Marie Quinn's name on it.  There are instructions
for downloading the updated version via FTP, but I have neither
Intellegenetic$ or UWGCG.  Are there alternative formats available now?  Or
is there someone there who might be able to forward a paper copy?  If you
can supply a name I can contact the person directly.

Thanks, and good luck

dennis templeton