cloning and purity of DNA

Peter Thoren genpt at
Mon Jun 7 06:47:17 EST 1993

After trying DNA fingerprinting on my Bumblebees without any variation
at all (with 4 probes) I'm now planning to develop microsatellite markers
instead. Since I have never cloned DNA I have some questions:

1. How clean does my bumblebee DNA need to bee? In prior experiments I have
   used Phenol/Chloroform extraction (one extraction with warm Phenol) and
   then I have reprecipitated my DNA once. Is this enough?

2. I am planning to use Boehringers pUC Cloning kit. Comments?

3. Do someone out there have any tips and hints that may be of use to me?

Thanks in advance.

Peter Thoren
Dept.of Genetics
Uppsala University