Follow-up on Mouse Monoclonal Subtyping Assays

Shaun D. Black SHAUN%JASON.DECNET at relay.the.net
Mon Jun 7 20:08:43 EST 1993

Dear Netters,
     You may remember that back at the end of March I posted a question as
to why my panel of monoclonal antibodies each subtyped out to 'IgM'.  We were
surprized that only IgM's were obtained for sixteen clones, obtained from
mice after 60 days (with one boost).  At that point, one would have assumed
that IgG's (in a secondary immune response) would be present.  Well, two
curious items have emerged that may be of interest to some of you.
     First, certain antigens appear to _select_ for IgM as a persistent
response.  Kathleen Hopp (khopp at post.its.mcw.edu) noted that she had
recently done a bunch of monoclonal immunizations and found that they were
all IgM.  Ivan Shaw (ivan at mni.lan.mcgill.ca) noted that attempts to produce
monoclonals against certain antigens sometimes resulted in almost exclusive
production of IgM.  Fourie Joubert (bio1 at navi.up.ac.za) agreed with the
above observations and suggested that immunization with small quantities of
antigen over long times might help; he also noted that class response was
mouse strain-dependent.  For example, lysozyme loop peptide could elicit an
IgG response in SWR mice but not in C57Bl/6 [ref: Verschoor, JA et al.,
Immunol. Lett. 17, 21-28 (1988)].  Lastly, Don (johnst67%mmc.bitnet at cunyvm.
cuny.edu) reported that his purified trypanosome protein elicited only IgM,
and that the reason might be due to the immunosuppressive properties of the
protein.
     Second, there is more to isotyping mouse monoclonals than meets the
eye.  Mark Bradley (mpb at cbr.dwe.csiro.au) noted that he had used a BioRad
kit which showed all the isotypes of mAb's to be IgM, but a kit from
Amersham (dipsticks) indicated that this was not so.  Corrine Reimer
(creimer at unixg.ubc.ca) reported that the isotyping kit from Serotec works
well if it is fresh.  Well, we (after a simple assay turned into a 'thing')
found that the anti-subclass antibodies from BioRad correctly indicated IgM
(mu heavy and kappa light) via ELISA.  However, isotyping strips from Sigma
indicated that all but one of these antibodies were IgG subtypes (one
subtyped as IgM with the Sigma reagents).  After Protein-G affinity
chromatography, further ELISAs, and Westerns, it became clear that we
have obtained the correct answers (all IgM) with the BioRad reagents.  I
might add further that Shannon Hall of BioRad's technical resources division
was _exceptionally_ helpful during this process of clarification  :-) .
Sigma, on the other hand, had no explanation for the behavior of their
subtyping strips and simply offered to refund our money.
     Hope this proves useful to some of you.  My sincere thanks to all of
you who replied to our original question!  Cheers,    Shaun