Storage of RNA

GIETZ at bldghsc.lan1.umanitoba.ca GIETZ at bldghsc.lan1.umanitoba.ca
Tue Jun 8 13:31:00 EST 1993

Just an additional comment on RNA storage!
    I agree with Ola Myklebost.  You really don't need to worry about
freezing and thawing too much.  I have isolated polyA+ mRNA and used it many
times (over 12X), freezing and thawing each time.  There was NO noticable
change in northern analysis or invitro translation capabilities.
 I think a problem
can arise if your RNA is not pure enough to begin with!  If there are
RNAses (cellular, not environmental) left in your prep at each thaw
they are allowed do their job! Store your RNA samples dissolved in
DEPC treated water at -40 to -80 depending on your capabilities.  I like to
dissolve my polyA+ mRNA at between 0.25 and 1 ug/ul.
Dan G.

R.Daniel Gietz Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Human Genetics
University of Manitoba
770 Bannatyne Ave, Rm 250
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
R3E 0W3
Tel.: (204)788-6458
Fax.: (204)786-8712
E-mail GIETZ at BLDGHSC.LAN1.UMANITOBA.CA