autorad cassettes

James B. Hutchins jbh at anat.UMSMED.EDU
Tue Jun 8 17:45:44 EST 1993

In article <1v0tvt$2fc at uniwa.uwa.edu.au> mitch at uniwa.uwa.edu.au
(Michelle Waycott) writes:

>What is the situation regarding autoradiograph cassettes.  I have only
>used the (very) expensive light sealed cassettes such as that from Fuji
>but I believe that there are alternatives were you might buy the
>intensifier screens and a carboard "sleeve" which is light sealed.
>These can then be exposed at -80C.
>Is this procedure used regularly by some groups and if so any
>suggestions about suppliers and or sources of screens and "sleeves"
>would be helpful.

All I know about this I learned from Ron Laskey's articles, e.g.
Meth Enzymol 65:363-371, 1980.

The cardboard cassettes are available from Sigma (among other suppliers)
but really need to be clamped between two boards to be suitable for -80 C
storage.  Compared to the cost of the intensifying screems <- Freudian
slip, but apt :-) screens, the cassettes don't seem so bad.

Hope this helps
Jim

Jim Hutchins                    []     E-Mail: jbh at anat.umsmed.edu
Asst Prof of Anatomy            []     Asst Prof of Neurology
Univ Mississippi Med Ctr        []     Jackson, MS