PCR Buffers

Andrew McArthur AMCARTHU at UVVM.UVIC.CA
Wed Jun 9 17:55:51 EST 1993

Here is a trick we discovered the hard way.  Using AmpliTaq in the newer
Perkin-Elmer oil-free machines gave us many troubles.  When we added
an oil overlay, everything started working.  The Cetus buffer includes
a detergent (Triton-X 100).  Katzman (BioTechniques 14: 36) found
similiar results and concluded that detergent in solution hinders
the Taq enzyme.  With an oil overlay, it is drawn to the interface
and somehow helps the enzyme.  Detergent seems to be a double-edged
sword.

Andrew