PFGE agarose plugs

TLANE at watson.princeton.edu TLANE at watson.princeton.edu
Thu Jun 10 13:13:59 EST 1993

In <nash.169.0 at biologysx.lan.nrc.ca> nash at biologysx.lan.nrc.ca writes:

> Hi..
>
> What do people use for agarose plug formers when they are embedding cells in
> agarose prior to lysis, restriction digests, etc for PFGE?

   What I did is  take some dental modelling compound and made a cast of the
comb that I was using (laid flat side down) so it formed trougths the width and
length of the comb and about as deep as the comb is thick.  I pipetted the
molten agarose into one end of the trough and when it solidified I used a filed
down small spatula to manipulate the plugs. I think that this system worked
very well and it was cheap.

                        Todd Lane
                        Dept of Mol. Bio.
                        Princeton Univ