Ethidium Bromide

Michael Coady coady at ERE.UMontreal.CA
Thu Jun 10 18:08:10 EST 1993

Regarding the mutagenic properties of ethidium bromide:
	Current Protocols (the Big Red Book) publishes little gray
updates every few months, and a few updates ago they dealt with the
mutagenic properties of ethidium bromide on one of these little updates.
They concluded (sorry that it isn't in front of me now so that I can
be verbatim and thus accurate) that the carcinogenic properties of
ethidium bromide are far less than what one is exposed to from a
single cigarette, and so the dangers are quite exagerated in the
normal mol bio lab.

Mike Coady
COADY at ERE.UMONTREAL.CA