etbr waste

suter at VAX.MPIZ-KOELN.mpg.d400.de suter at VAX.MPIZ-KOELN.mpg.d400.de
Mon Jun 14 10:18:47 EST 1993

just two remarks on EtBr:

we dry our agarose gels to air (in a big plastic container in the hood)
and extract EtBr from our solutions with active charcoal (see the seldom read,
but essential chapter E.8/E.9 in the new Maniatis / Sambrook !!).
these very simple and cheap procedures greatly reduce the volume
and weight of etbr waste. after that, all waste is
burned by the Bayer chemical company, here in leverkusen, germany.

naturally, this costs our institute money. perhaps it would be more useful
if somebody could design the ultimate experiment to show that etbr
is not as dangerous as we believe. until then, we have to play it
safe.

cheers,

clemens
Clemens Suter-Crazzolara, PhD
Max-Planck-Institut fuer Zuechtungsforschung
Abteilung Genetische Grundlagen der Zuechtungsforschung
Carl-von-Linne Weg 10
5000 Koeln 30
Tel. xx49-221-5062.221       Fax. xx49-221-5062.213
e-mail: suter at vax.mpiz-koeln.mpg.dbp.de