NEN pen (was: autorad cassettes)

donald seto don at
Mon Jun 14 14:58:04 EST 1993

In article <Pine.3.05.9306141446.B16201-b100000 at> fgarbrec at POST.ITS.MCW.EDU (Frederick Garbrecht) writes:
>I have used Rad-Tape.  It is a phosphorescent film that you write on and
>then apply to your film.  The places that you write on block the
>phosphorescence and appear bright on the autorad.  Works pretty well in my
>On 14 Jun 1993, Berthe M. Willumsen wrote:
>> Date: 14 Jun 93 10:23:06 GMT
>> From: Berthe M. Willumsen <bmw at>
>> To: methods-and-reagents at
>> Subject: Re: NEN pen (was: autorad cassettes)
>> In article <olam-110693153021 at>, olam at (Ola
>> Myklebost) wrote:

>> > Is that a phosphorescent pen like the outrageously expensive one from NEN?
>> > Do you know the price and have a fax no?
>> >
>> I purchased the NEN pen several years ago, and have never used it. The ink
>> dried up immediatedly, and although I found out that chloroform can be used
>> to thin it, I never got it to work satisfactorily. Have others had the
>> problem? And found a solution?
>> Berthe Willumsen
>> Dept. Molecular and Cellular Biology
>> Univ. Copenhagen
>> bmw at

i have been off line for a few days--but the Bel-Art pen is not liquid--it
wax based and does not seem to dry out.  i think it is about 45 bucks for a
pen that lasts a bit; i have one from 1989 that i am still using.

their fax number is 201-694-7199, telex 219359
                         don at
301-402-0580   Bldg10/Rm8D14    NIDDK/NIH       Bethesda, MD  20892