EtBr safety procedures

Michael Coady coady at ERE.UMontreal.CA
Mon Jun 14 20:03:52 EST 1993

The discussion on the disposal of ethidium bromide echoed in my mind
the other afternoon as I was cutting out of the building.  Walking
down one hallway, I passed a room where the lights were turned off
and where a graduate student was standing over a UV box, gowned,
gloved and wearing protective eyegear while standing over her gel
on the UV box.  What gave me pause was that the UV light box was on
a table right beside the door, where everybody walking past was
bound to peer in.  Granted, the passersby get a brief exposure to the
UV, and the strength of the light attenuates quickly with distance,
but I was curious to know what the rest of you think about this.
How dangerous is it to have your light source briefly being exposed
to the naked eyes of passersby?

Mike Coady
COADY at ERE.UMONTREAL.CA