sickness due to genetech ?

R.G. Walters mbrgw at
Tue Jun 15 10:02:09 EST 1993

In article <1993Jun15.144405.21176 at> suter at writes:
>Robin walters wrote (as part of the discussion on EtBr waste) on
>+ Rather like the cloning of an active oncogene into SV40 in an uncontrolled
>+ environment. This happened at the Pasteur Institute, I believe, and several
>+ workers and several members of the public "caught" cancer. I don't know if
>+ any of them died.  With proper regulation, this would never have been
>+ sanctioned.

Just to elaborate (before the lawsuits start flying ;-), I don't recall ever
seeing any documentation of this, but it was a _VERY_ strong rumour a while
back - it may be apocryphal, but it's the sort of thing I am quite prepared
to believe, given the current discussion on lab non-safety.

Robin Walters.                      Robert Hill Institute, Sheffield UK.

I got bored with my old .sig
So here's a new one