PCR software

Paul N Hengen pnh at fcsparc6.ncifcrf.gov
Mon Jun 14 17:21:49 EST 1993

jgraham at bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (the End) writes:

>I find that I need both OLIGO 4.0 and the freeware "PCR Amplify" for designing
>PCR primers on the Macintosh. OLIGO is very comprehensive and comes
>with an excellent manual that steps one through the typical procedures.
>PCR Amplify provides a nice graphic display of the possible amplification
>products for a given target and primer pair.
>
>This combination appears to provide a very thorough check for known
>PCR problems after determining the best primers within a designated region.
>
>Jim
>J. Graham

I agree with using two separate programs. None has all the good qualities.
I use Primer, then port all the stuff to the MAC for the simulated PCR
reaction of Amplify. The biggest drawback I've found with it though is a
lack of a circular DNA mode at this stage. It's always assumed your target
DNA is a linear fragment. Some people still do plasmids ;-)

Paul N. Hengen
National Cancer Institute
Frederick, Maryland 21702-1201 USA