Inhibition of uncharacterized protease(s) in growth medium

louhelainen at cc.helsinki.fi louhelainen at cc.helsinki.fi
Tue Jun 15 15:31:07 EST 1993

In article <01GZF6Q5ME2Q8WWCU0 at INVERMAY.CRI.NZ>, VANNESTEJ%RUASV1 at ruakura.cri.nz writes:

> 	Hello,
>
> 	I am working on a gene which product is inhibitory to some
> Enterobacteriaceae (gram negative close to E. coli).  This inhibitory compound
> is sensitive to proteases.  The problem is that the strains I am using to
> detect the inhibitory activity do produce some proteases.  I am thus wondering
> if I could increase the sensitivity of my assay by getting rid of the
> extracellular proteases.  This means I would need a protease inhibitor that
> can be added to the growth medium without harming/killing the bacteria.
>
> 	Any pointer appreciated
>
> 	Thanks a lot,
>
> 	Joel

>    Joel L. Vanneste
>    The Horticulture and Food Research Institute of New Zealand Ltd
>    Ruakura Research Centre,
>    Private Bag 3123, Hamilton,		e mail: VANNESTEJ%RUASV1 at ruakura.cri.nz
>    New Zealand						fax 64 7 838 5073

  Calbiochem has protease inhibitor (AEBSF), which can be used instead of
  PMSF. AEBSF is water soluble, more stable, and it's less toxic than
  PMSF. I haven't tried it yet, but it could be just what youre looking
  for. AEBSF stands for [4-(2-aminoethyl)-benzenesulfonylfluoride].

  Jari Louhelainen
  Department of General Microbiology
  University of Helsinki
  FINLAND