magnetic bead RNA preps

neale at neale at
Wed Jun 16 19:20:40 EST 1993

In article <C8MtF5.H9K at>, pnh at (Paul N Hengen) writes:
> In article <1993Jun11.100551.8480 at> neale at writes:
>>Just a plug for Dyna beads. The lab next to us uses them and reuses them time
>>and time again. They are more cost effective for than the others they have
>>tried (but I don't know how many others they have tried)
> The Promega brand of blobules are much less expensive than the Dynal spheres.
> But, I've found that since the blobule types are very irregular in shape, my
> oligos are sheared off - presumably when they scrape against each other during
> pippetting. This may be due to abrasion that tears the bead surface apart.
> I've reserved the Dynal beads for the most important experiments.
> Paul N. Hengen
> National Cancer Institute
> Frederick Cancer Research and Development Center
> Frederick, Maryland 21702-1201 USA

I have to apologize for an error in my original posting. The lab to which I
referred uses PROMEGA magnaspheres and not Dyna beads for mRNA extraction. The
Promega magnaspheres ARE much cheaper and can be reused time again. Everything
else written about stability refers to the Promega product, which involves
isolation from whole cells using urea for denaturation (rather than the
customary guanidine solutions).

This lab uses Dyna beads for affinity purification of B cell populations, and I
apologize again for any confusion or misinformation.

Geoff Neale
St Jude Research Hospital
Elvis Land, Memphis TN