dissolving of SDS-PAGE bands

James B. Hutchins jbh at anat.UMSMED.EDU
Thu Jun 17 20:10:37 EST 1993

In article <1vpduiINN1ukm at rs1.rrz.Uni-Koeln.DE>
thomas at biomed.biolan.uni-koeln.de writes:
>Hi,
>has anyone a reliable protocol for dissolving of SDS-PAGE protein bands for
>subsequent scintillation counting. I have tried 30% Hydrogenperoxyde and
>"Soluene-350" but these reagents did not dissolve the bands.
>Thank you in advance
>
>Thomas

Unfortunately, I'm at home and do not have the reference, but having done
gel slices too many times :-( I remember the formula by heart:

99 ml 30% H2O2
1 ml conc. NH4OH
Heating to 37 deg C (or even 60 C) is sometimes required.  We drop the slice
directly in the scintillation vial, place them loosely capped in a large
37 deg C incubator overnight, and add scintillant, cap, mix, chill and count.

Good luck.

Jim
Jim Hutchins                    []     E-Mail: jbh at anat.umsmed.edu
Asst Prof of Anatomy            []     Asst Prof of Neurology
Univ Mississippi Med Ctr        []     Jackson, MS