Thermal-stable polymerases: info

John Nash nash at biologysx.lan.nrc.ca
Thu Jun 17 10:07:59 EST 1993

In article <1993Jun17.125928.13820 at cc.umontreal.ca> coady at ERE.UMontreal.CA (Michael Coady) writes:
>From: coady at ERE.UMontreal.CA (Michael Coady)
>Subject: Re: Thermal-stable polymerases: info
>Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1993 12:59:28 GMT

>In article <nash.183.0 at biologysx.lan.nrc.ca> nash at biologysx.lan.nrc.ca (John Nash) writes:
>>
>>I thought that Pfu was Deep Vent (or am I wrong)?
>>

>        This time you're wrong, John :-).  According to the Stratagene
>catalogue, Vent polymerase is derived from Thermococcus litoralis while
>Pfu is from Pyrococcus furiosus.  Both do seem to have similar polymerase,
>proofreading and thermostability characteristics, though.

>Mike Coady
>COADY at ERE.UMONTREAL.CA

Hi Mike,

Not you too.... I'm getting flack, and I'm misrepresented!

I said "Deep Vent" polymerase, which IS from a Pyrococcus species (look it
up), not "Vent polymerase" which I know is from Thermococcus.  I knew when I
wrote this that I should have emphasized the DEEP... and NEB (if you're
listening...)  change the bloody name of the latter, it's CONFUSING!!!

  cheers, John

  John Nash                           | Email: Nash at biologysx.lan.nrc.ca.
  Institute for Biological Sciences   |
  National Research Council of Canada | Email to my other NRC accounts
  Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.            | is usually forwarded here.