UV exposure (was: EtBr safety procedures)

Dr. Duncan Clark Duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk
Thu Jun 17 15:09:52 EST 1993

Hi All

A cautionary tale.

Regarding eye 'burn' with 300nm transilluminators. About 8/9 years ago I joined
a company producing RE's and on the first or second day there badly ie (
blind by late evening) burnt both eyes due to supposed safety specs not
being UV protective. I landed up at Moorfields Eye Hospital (by Taxi) totally
blind and in agony. Within 24 hours I could see and was back to normal roughly
48hrs later. I have had my eyes tested regularly since and so far touch wood
they have tested 20/20 etc. Regardless of the tests I have problems in bright
sunlight (my eyes ache and I have to squint). Sunglasses are manditory.

Who knows what the future brings.

Beware of safety specs.

Duncan
 Duncan Clark  Enzyme Producer      | Internet:   duncan at genesys@demon.co.uk