EtBr Destruction Protocol

Dr. Duncan Clark Duncan at
Thu Jun 17 15:19:53 EST 1993

Hi Netters,

Everyone is naturally very concerned about EtBr in CsCl and agarose gels.

Is there any alternative stain availabel particularly for agarose ie DAPI or
the other Hoescht stain (can't remember it's no.).

To try and cut down on gel sue I reuse my agarose gels at least 5 to 10x. ie
just remelt and poor. Yes the background goes up slightly and by the tenth go
it is quite cloudy but for general use (ie not retrieving fragments or after
maximum sensitivity) it is fine, It also saves a fortune if yuo run as many
gels as I do!

 Duncan Clark                       | Internet:   duncan at
 GeneSys Ltd.                       | Compuserve: 100015.1406 at