Mitochondrial DNA isolation

Bill Melchior wmelchior at ntet.nctr.fda.gov
Fri Jun 18 17:36:15 EST 1993

In article <1993Jun18.092202.5996 at gserv1.dl.ac.uk>,
CS at abc.univie.ac.at ("Christoph Schller") writes:
> Does anyone have a protocol to isolate mt-DNA from tissue (rat
> brain)? How to estimate nuclear DNA contamination? We want to analyse
> oxidative damage.

I've not tried it, but I have a copy of "A Rapid Procedure for Isolating
Mitochondrial DNA", E.G. Zimmerman et al, Gene Anal. Techn. 5:102-104
(1988).  The example given is rat liver.  The only "analysis" for
contamination by nuclear DNA seems to have been visual inspection of a gel.
The paper has several references to earlier methods.

Views expressed are not necessarily those of NCTR, its sponsoring agencies,
or the United States government.

Bill Melchior                                ||
National Center for Toxicological Research   ||    ALL statements
Jefferson, AR  72079                         ||    in this
(501) 543-7206                               ||    signature box
                                             ||    are false.
WMELCHIOR at NTET.NCTR.FDA.GOV                  ||